Pink Helmet

THROWBACK.  It was definitely this day, 10th of October… 8 years ago. Your pink helmet was the last thing I saw before I woke up in the middle of the road – my first accident. I was in my fourth year in college, first semester and it was our finals week. I decided I'd ride the train that night so I'd go home quick.


The traffic light went red, the jeepneys stopped and I crossed the pedestrian but in few seconds, I saw a flash of your headlight and there I told myself… “He's too fast. No, he's not slowing down… he’s going to kill me”. 


orig photo source

Everything went black and I woke up.



I said to myself, “That’s okay, stand now… go home.” But I could not, my body was in pain and one of my shoes was even not on my foot anymore. My huge bag with thesis paraphernalia was a meter away from me. The crowd gathered around me. Some men picked me up and helped me get inside the white taxicab. There were three men inside, the cab driver, a pedicab driver and the motor driver. I was crying a lot... I was really scared. I was having an asthma attack also. They brought me to the nearest hospital for immediate treatment of my wounds. The staffs asked me questions about the accident and suggested to bring me back to UST – UST Hospital. The questions from hospital staffs were insanely repetitive. That time, I wished I could make a story board for them so they'd stop asking me again and again. The motorycle driver's wife rushed to the hospital; she watched over me while waiting for my family to arrive. My parents and my ate were notified by the cab driver via phone call. Thanks God for after some tests, the doctor assured my family and I that everything’s okay with me. The Lord was with me. He protected me from severe injuries. No broken bones, yey!

The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him, and He helps me.My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise Him.  (Psalm 28:7)

FORGIVENESS.  My family decided not to file a case against the motorcycle driver. He was very sorry and admitted that he was driving fast and did not notice me. Nobody was crossing the street besides me. My mother advised him to pray before driving, we just took his contact number. We let the man go because we also found out that there were people who asked him for money so he could get his motor back while the cab driver charged him a lot - as in for a full tank of gas. 

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times". (Matthew 18:21-22)

RECOVERY.  For some time, I was scared to cross any street and commuting became a torture. My parents accompanied me going to school until the finals week ended. The Lord also helped me recover and took away the fear in my heart. I also got to finish and submit all the requirements at school and I did well in my exams.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)


REALIZATIONS. It was not my time to die yet. Thanks God for the second chance to live but I became more careful on crossing streets even if the traffic light says it's safe to cross. Though I felt really terrible about what happened - I follow traffic rules as much as I could but of course, there are people who don't so accidents still occur.



But if God had taken me away that night, I won't be able to witness more miracles by Him. He definitely has major plans for me and He revealed my life purpose a year after. Oh well, I'm still here and I'm continuing my journey of faith and I enjoy it thus I treasure my time on earth and do my tasks as His servant to please Him every time. 


There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens. (Ecclesiastes 3:1)


And for you, the man in the pink helmet, I hope that you're more responsible in driving now so you shall not be engaged at motor accident anymore. I also pray that you'll encounter God in your life. For that incident actually taught us to humble down before God, we're not in control of everything and we must be fully dependent on His protection. Take care, Mister. God bless you.



P.S.

Here's a song called "Back to Life" by Hillsong Young & Free. A perfect anthem of this throwback story. I'm back to life, again!

In the night
Through the struggle, through the trial
You have made my burden light
You have brought me back to life again

Comments